Recommended Best Practices on Creating an Assessment Committee from Member Campuses
- Include a strong leader on committee that has political and social capital.
- Don’t force membership; members should want to be there
- Necessary skills include energy, interest, intellectual curiosity, motivation
- Committee members should want to be there AND want to learn
- Have higher level administrator on committee if possible
- Allow members to empower and engage with those beyond the committee
- Committee should create their own charge, if top down will need to get buy-in
- Have vision/purpose that connects with divisional big picture
- Have manageable and concrete goals
- Hold individuals accountable
- Focus on learning-provide capacity building resources and support
- Create system for reward/recognition
- Meet regularly no matter what
- Have fun!
*Tip: Search the ASSESS listserv archive for discussion-list threads on committee structure and function.