In order to begin collecting data with your rubric template, you’ll need to add a new Assessment.
Assessments are specific instances of measurement where you use a rubric template you have previously created or that was shared with you. Within an Assessment is where you will add your subjects, evaluate them using the rubric, and then be able to see aggregated and individual results.
For more information about the difference between rubrics, assignments, and assessments, please click here.
To create an Assessment:
- Click on the +Add button next to the Assessment section.
- Enter the Assessment title.
- Select a rubric template to use for this assessment, then click Go. (Note: the same rubric template can support more than one assessment.)
- Click the +New Entry button to add subjects to evaluate with the rubric template
- Choose the name of the person that you are evaluating:
|Method of adding subjects||Benefits||Considerations|
|*Search the subject's Name or User ID||
This method will allow you to send email notifications of rubric results to the individual subjects.
This will connect this subject's rubric data to other demographic information in the Campus Labs system.
*In order to locate someone in this drop down list, they must have an account in the core data system. If you do not see a person’s name in this drop down list, they may not have an account in the core data system
If you need to add a new user to the core data system, please contact your Consultant for assistance.
Manually type in the name
(click "Can't Find Someone?")
|This method is ideal for assessing groups, concepts, or anything else you do not wish to tie back to a specific individual.||
If you manually type a person’s name, the data here will be independent of any other rubric, survey, or demographic data.
If you choose this option, you will also not be able to send email notifications of rubric results.
- Once you have selected a person’s name, you can start entering data. The score in the top right corner will automatically update as it calculates the score in live time. Once you’re done, you will also see the total score at the bottom of the page next to the Save options.
- Once you’re done, click Save and New if you would like to complete that rubric and open a blank rubric to enter the next set of data. Or click Save and Done if you do not need to enter any other assessment data.
You have the option of adding other evaluators to contribute to your assessment. For instance, if a panel of judges is going to be contributing to an aggregated score for an individual student (when multiple evaluations is turned on for the rubric template you are using--see multiple evaluations for more information), or if you are delegating evaluation responsibilities to other faculty or staff to the students who are being evaluated as part of this assessment (if you do NOT have multiple evaluations turned on for the template).
You can let the new evaluator know that they have access to your assessment via the email notification option through the Manage Evaluators feature.
Once the evaluator has been added, they will be able to log into their Rubric's page and locate your Assessment in their own Assessment's column and begin evaluating as demonstrated above.
Note: If you have selected to make the evaluator a Limited Evaluator, they will only see the scores they have provided to your assessment. They will be unable to see the aggregated results.
To add evaluators:
- Within the assessment, click the Tools button in the top right corner.
- Select Manage Evaluators from the dropdown
- Start typing a name and select them from the drop down list.
- If you do not see an evaluator's name in the drop down, they may not have an account in the core data system and will need to be added before they can be added here as an evaluator. Please contact your Consultant for assistance with adding accounts for evaluators. Evaluators cannot be added to an assessment without an account.
- Check "Send email letting evaluators know they have been added" if you wish the evaluators to receive an email
- Click +Add User to add the evaluator
- Once added, you can choose to toggle the "Limited View" option on or off for each evaluator.
Evaluating an individual subject multiple times
You can evaluate the same person within an Assessment if Multiple Evaluations has been turned on for the rubric template being used in the Assessment.
If someone has already been evaluated, you will see their name under the list of entries. To add another entry for this subject, click the blue plus sign to the right of their name. Once you’re done, your entry will be logged under the name of the individual you have assessed along with other entries.
*Note: The final student score is calculated based on the Rubrics Settings section within the template itself. If Multiple Evaluations on the rubric template being used for the assessment is turned on, the score could be calculated by the sum of all the scores, the average of the scores, the highest score, most recent score, or the manually selected the score you want to represent that student's final grade. If Multiple Evaluations is not turned on, then the final student score is simply determined by the single evaluator of that student and evaluators cannot evaluate the same student twice.
To edit/delete rubric entries:
- In the subject's entry, click edit on the far right.
- You may edit or add comments
- Click Delete at the top right of the page to delete that entry.
To lock entries:
If you are the creator of the Assessment, when you are done entering your data and you are sure that it is complete, you can click Tools option in upper right and select Lock Entry Set button. You will be prompted to toggle on the "Lock All Entry" slider. This will lock all entries so no evaluators will be able to make changes.
If you lock entries and realize that additional changes are needed, you may undo this navigating back to Tools and selecting Unlock Entry Set.
If you would like to print a rubric to use paper copies and enter data into the system at a later time:
- Click the Tools button in the top right corner.
- Select Printable Template
- If you would like to include cell descriptions (recommended), toggle “Include Descriptions” to be on.
- Click Print Template.
- Once you have collected your paper responses, you can follow the steps above to add entries manually into the system.
Next step article - After you have filled out a rubric, please click here for Rubrics: How to Review Rubric Results.
If you need additional assistance with entering rubric data, please don’t hesitate to contact your Consultant. For technical support, you can also reach out to us by submitting a ticket or calling us at 716.270.0000.